Friday, July 12, 2013

NARENDRA MODI - THE SECULAR POLITICIAN



MODI, 

THE
 SECULAR POLITICIAN


Modi baiting has become a pastime for many Politicians in India. Some Politicians are almost paranoid about Modi’s rise in Public Opinion.

But, the controversies that they rake up are only helping people to see the GRAIN from the CHAFF- Modi from the Rest.

Modi appears much more secular, much more forthright, much more nationalistic than his critics. This is the Opinion people get after each controversy.

In the latest PUPPY REMARK CONTROVERSY, I went through Reuters publication (on its web site) of the Interview with Modi, to see, if there is anything at all, objectionable, in his views and remarks. But, his remarks seem to be humane and applaudable rather than objectionable.  So, what are these Politicians objecting to? God knows what they are objecting to.

Bhagavad Gita’s very first sloka indicate two major failings in Human psyche “aham-mama”, which are the Sanskrit words for “ME AND MINE”. These are the two failings of most people. We close our eyes to the failings of our own self and of those whom we perceive as our people.  On the other hand, every simple action of those whom we feel –as others – seems objectionable, condemnable, and so on. This is the failing of the Modi baiters.

Whether Modi sits, stands, eats or talks, or even breathes, they will find some thing objectionable in everything that he does. 

This should not be the way, Politics should be conducted in India. But, this is the way, it is being conducted in India by the Modi Baiters.

Whatever they or their own Party men do – they will totally close their eyes to it. This is equally bad.

Be that as it may, the following are the key excerpts from the Modi Interview. I find nothing objectionable in it.

Interview with BJP leader Narendra Modi - July 12, 2013 @ 11:45 am - By Reuters Staff - By Ross Colvin and Sruthi Gottipati

Reuters spoke to Modi at his official Gandhinagar residence in a rare interview, the first since he was appointed head of the BJP’s election campaign in June. Here are edited excerpts from the interview. The questions are paraphrased and some of Modi’s replies have been translated from Hindi.

]Is it frustrating that many people still define you by 2002?

People have a right to be critical. We are a democratic country. Everyone has their own view. I would feel guilty if I did something wrong. Frustration comes when you think “I got caught. I was stealing and I got caught.” That’s not my case.
Do you regret what happened?

I’ll tell you. India’s Supreme Court is considered a good court today in the world. The Supreme Court created a special investigative team (SIT) and top-most, very bright officers who overlook oversee the SIT. That report came. In that report, I was given a thoroughly clean chit, a thoroughly clean chit. Another thing, any person if we are driving a car, we are a driver, and someone else is driving a car and we’re sitting behind, even then if a puppy comes under the wheel, will it be painful or not? Of course it is. If I’m a chief minister or not, I’m a human being. If something bad happens anywhere, it is natural to be sad.

Should your government have responded differently?

Up till now, we feel that we used our full strength to set out to do the right thing.

But do you think you did the right thing in 2002?

Absolutely. However much brainpower the Supreme Being has given us, however much experience I’ve got, and whatever I had available in that situation and this is what the SIT had investigated.

Do you believe India should have a secular leader?

We do believe that … But what is the definition of secularism? For me, my secularism is, India first. I say, the philosophy of my party is ‘Justice to all. Appeasement to none.’ This is our secularism.

Critics say you are an authoritarian, supporters say you are a decisive leader. Who is the real Modi?

If you call yourself a leader, then you have to be decisive. If you’re decisive then you have the chance to be a leader. These are two sides to the same coin … People want him to make decisions. Only then they accept the person as a leader. That is a quality, it’s not a negative. The other thing is, if someone was an authoritarian then how would he be able to run a government for so many years? … Without a team effort how can you get success? And that’s why I say Gujarat’s success is not Modi’s success. This is the success of Team Gujarat.

What about the suggestion that you don’t take criticism?

I always say the strength of democracy lies in criticism. If there is no criticism that means there is no democracy. And if you want to grow, you must invite criticism. And I want to grow, I want to invite criticism. But I’m against allegations. There is a vast difference between criticism and allegations. For criticism, you have to research, you’ll have to compare things, you’ll have to come with data, factual information, then you can criticize. Now no one is ready to do the hard work. So the simple way is to make allegations. In a democracy, allegations will never improve situations. So, I’m against allegations but I always welcome criticism.

How will you persuade minorities including Muslims to vote for you?

First thing, to Hindustan’s citizens, to voters, Hindus and Muslims, I’m not in favour of dividing. I’m not in favour of dividing Hindus and Sikhs. I’m not in favour of dividing Hindus and Christians. All the citizens, all the voters, are my countrymen. So my basic philosophy is, I don’t address this issue like this. And that is a danger to democracy also. Religion should not be an instrument in your democratic process.

People want to know who is the real Modi – Hindu nationalist leader or pro-business chief minister?

I’m nationalist. I’m patriotic. Nothing is wrong. I’m a born Hindu. Nothing is wrong. So, I’m a Hindu nationalist so yes, you can say I’m a Hindu nationalist because I’m a born Hindu. I’m patriotic so nothing is wrong in it. As far as progressive, development-oriented, workaholic, whatever they say, this is what they are saying. So there’s no contradiction between the two. It’s one and the same image.

My Comments :- The furore, especially on the so called PUPPY REAMRK – is plain ridiculous. It is just a humane opinion. Yes. We do feel sad, even if a puppy dies under our car. What is wrong in it? Where is comparison of anybody with a  puppy here. The words “even if” are a clear indication that every life is valuable. Every life should be valued. The point is – Gujarat Government is reported to have acted within 24 hours of the incidents and controlled everything. On the other hand, his critics did not act for weeks – to control much bigger incidents in their states! If Modi does something wrong, by all means, we must criticize. Else, he will also commit big mistakes. Ditto for every Politician.  But, criticizing good deeds and good words – is bad politics.

*  *  *  E  N  D  *  *  *

No comments:

Post a Comment